Everything about being a first time mum is daunting. The fear of the unknown leaves so many questions in your head, and what you need to pack in your hospital bag is definitely one of them, (and even knowing when to start packing it).
I’m part of a few Facebook groups online with other mums due around the same time as me and all I kept seeing was their hospital bags and yet there I was, 30 weeks along with no hospital bag packed, or even thought about.
But I didn’t know where to start. Panicking, I text my mum who as always, calmed me down and kindly found a ‘hospital bag checklist’ online from mothercare which she printed off for me. It was a massive help and I’ve been able to put together my own checklist, adding a few things that other mums have advised.
I thought I’d share it on my blog for other panicking first time mums who may be able to take a few things from it, and feel a little bit calmer about packing their bag.
I’m told by most people that they over packed and didn’t need half the stuff they had, so I really wouldn’t get yourself in a stress over it. I’ve most probably over packed myself, but I’d rather that for peace of mind anyway. And let’s be honest, who knows what can happen!
I decided to get a little suitcase as I felt I’d be able to organise all my stuff in it better however I’m going to keep the babies stuff separate and put it all in the changing bag.
This is based on a 1-2 night stay in hospital. Evidently everyone has different births. You may have a quick labour and be in and out pretty quick, or you may need to be in for longer for various different reasons. I’ll more than likely think of other bits I may need to pack, but I think I’ve got the majority of it, and I’m trying my hardest not to “over over-pack”
Things for myself:
- 2 nursing nighties – an easy opening one for nursing
- 2 nursing bras
- Slippers & socks
- 2 pairs of comfortable knickers – I’m sure lace and thongs will be the last thing we’ll want to wear
- 1 Pack of disposable briefs
- Breast Pads
- Ultra Thick Pads for the oh-so-lovely after bleed I’ve been told about.
- Bikini Top if you’re hoping for a water birth
- Comfortable clothes to wear home
- Massage oil in case you want a massage in labour
- Nipple Cream
- Birth plan & notes
- Toiletries; hairbrush, toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, face wipes, bobbles & hair grips, lip balm, face cloth & deodorant.
(I don’t think I’m going to bother with taking any make-up, but some ladies may feel different and want to pack it).
- 2 Bodysuits
- 2 Sleepsuits
- 1 baby blanket
- Going home outfit
- Cotton wool
- Newborn wipes
- Nappies (about 20 or so)
- Aptamil 1 First Milk starter pack – I really want to breastfeed but am aware it’s not always possible so this is what I’m taking as a back up
- Muslin Squares
Other important items to remember:
- Newborn car seat for the journey home
- Mobile phone & charger
- Headphones/Speaker if you want to listen to music in labour
- Money for the car park
Please feel free to comment with anything you recommend. It’s always appreciated!